In order for a student-athlete to participate in crew, the following items must be completed before any involvement takes place.
|1. Registration Form - Click Here|
Deadline: February 8
A. Preferred method:
Pay Dues - Click Here
B. Mail checks (Made payable to W-L Crew Boosters) to W-L Crew Boosters
3033 Wilson Boulevard, Box E541
Arlington, VA 22201.
Email if you have questions: email@example.com
|3. Current physical on file - Delivered to the Activities Office at Washington-Lee.|
|4. Emergency Contact Form - Delivered to room 2114 at Washington-Lee.|
|5. A USRowing waiver signed. Use access code: X9TXC|
|6. A swim test (more below, novice athletes only)|
Welcome to Washington-Lee Crew! On this page, you will discover all the information you need to know about joining the team. Please read carefully as there is important information for both athlete and parents. But first, a basic introduction to some of the mechanics of the team:
Crew is a spring sport at W-L, starting in late February and running until the end of May, with several post season social and award events in early June. The team is open to any 8th-12th grade student who is (or will be) attending W-L and who is interested in a new and difficult challenge. Crew is a time consuming, rigorous sport that offers many rewards. Our team consistently has one of the highest team GPAs of an team in the school. We train hard, and have a good time doing it! To help you and your family discover whether rowing is for you, and to prepare you for the rigors of the spring season we offer two pre-season events:
- Fall Green Days/Open Houses: these are days in October where we are allowed to go out on the water. Held three days a week, any student can come down to the boathouse and try things out. We teach you everything you need to know! Parents are encouraged to stop in, especially the Saturday sessions when fellow “Crew Booster” parents are available to answer questions .
- Winter Conditioning: runs from late November until the start of the spring season in February and is open to any Arlington 8th-12th grader. This is a general conditioning program with a specific emphasis with training for rowing. Sessions are held 5 days a week at W-L. Again, no experience is necessary. This training program is not mandatory, but is highly encouraged for any athlete thinking of rowing in the spring who is not doing another winter sport at W-L.
If you can’t attend either of these introductory programs, no worries! We still accept new athletes at the start of the season.
It is rare for anyone to end up in the water. However we take safety very seriously, and swim tests are mandatory. You will need a swim suit, towel, and a (very) light pair of sweat pants and sweat shirt. Please arrive and change promptly, then head out to the pool area. Wearing the sweats over your swim suit you must:
- Swim three lengths of the pool (75 yards).
- Then tread water for one minute.
- Finally, after the minute treading water, you will be handed a life jacket which you must successfully put on.
All three items must be completed without touching the sides or bottom of the pool. You may use any stroke to complete the laps. If you have trouble we will help you! So don’t let swimming be a deterrent to joining the crew. (And almost never do boats flip, or people go in the water… this is merely for safety.)
Coaches will conduct a swim test twice a month for those who have not already completed the task. These dates will be placed on the crew calendar for your reference.